You can use your RevPi Core without a separate keyboard, mouse and monitor – headless. It functions via a coded connection (SSH) between your PC and the RevPi Core.
In the headless mode described here, only command line entry is available as the user interface.
- Your PC
- Power supply unit
- Ethernet cable or surf/WLAN stick
Download these programmes and install/save them on your PC:
- Windows: Advanced Ip Scanner
- Connect your router to your RevPi Core using the Ethernet cable or
- Set up a WIFI connection. How it is done is explained in the “Setting up a WIFI connection” chapter.
- Connect your RevPi Core to the power supply.
As a first step we will determine the IP-address of the ReviPi Core with the help of the Advanced IP Scanner. It is needed to establish a SSH connection from your PC to RevPi Core.
- Open den Advanced IP Scanner
- Click on the IP button
- Advanced IP Scanner automatically recognises the IP address section in which your computer is to be found.
- Click on „Scannen“
Advanced IP Scanner will now search the sub-network of your PC. The process can take a few minutes. The results will be shown in the results list:
- Note down the IP address
Tipp! Advanced IP Scanner will also show you the MAC addresses of the devices. If you are operating more than one RevPi product in your network, then you can find the wanted device by comparing the MAC address on the front of the RevPi Cores with the results of the Advanced IP Scanner.
In this step, we will install a SSH connection between your PC and RevPi Core with Putty.
- Open Putty.
- Write the IP address of your RevPi Core in the “Host Name (or IP address)” box.
- Click SSH in the “Connection Type“ choice box
In the “Port” box is the figure “22“.
- Click in “Category” in the navigation tree on “Window > Translation“.
- In the “Remote character set” choice box, select UTF-8. The selection prevents special characters and umlauts from being shown wrongly.
- In “Category” in the navigation tree, click on “Session”.
- Write a name of your choice in the “Saved sessions” box for the connection.
- Click on Save.
The settings for the connection have now been saved. You can start up the connection at any time in the “Saved Sessions“ choice box by clicking on “Load”. It means you don’t have to re-enter the settings every time.
- Click on the “Open” button
The connection to RevPi Core will be established.
- Enter your user name and password. Both are written on the sticker on the side of your RevPi Core.
You can now use your RevPi Core.