Hardware Certification

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
Ian
Answers: 0

Hardware Certification

Post by Ian »

Hello Kunbus,

We are looking to take one of your RevPi Compacts to flight test (it will be a none critical component so don't panic!!). To support his work we need to provide some evidence that the system is sufficiently robust to meet the requirements which fall in to the categories given below. Whilst we acknowledge that the system will never be fully certified for flight we would like some confidence that there is a good chance it will work for the duration of the flight test campaign. I have seen previous posts about certification that gives general information about testing to the general requirements EN61131-2 but any more specific information would be gratefully received.

General areas covered are given below and includes comments based on information I could find:
Temperature - I have used your information to say the operational range is -20C to +55C (storage -40C to +85C)
Humidity - max 93% assuming none condensing
Altitude - ?
Vibration - ?
Power interruption - ? Our specification is 200ms but this might be beyond the system capabilities given previous comments
Shock/Impact/Crash - ?
Voltage spike susceptibility - ?
Radio Susceptibility and Emissions - ? I have seen 2014/30/EU mentioned but is there specific information?
Lightning - ? :shock:

Many thanks,
Ian
nicolaiB
KUNBUS
Answers: 7

Re: Hardware Certification

Post by nicolaiB »

Hi Ian,

thanks for sharing this interesting use case case!

I will clarify the missing details with our development and let you know. Please keep us updated on your project and maybe you can share your story at a later stage with us (https://revolutionpi.de/success-stories/)?

Nicolai
Ian

Post by Ian »

nicolaiB wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 14:46 Hi Ian,

thanks for sharing this interesting use case case!

I will clarify the missing details with our development and let you know. Please keep us updated on your project and maybe you can share your story at a later stage with us (https://revolutionpi.de/success-stories/)?

Nicolai
Thanks for your help Nicolai. I think that we should be able to share the story but would need to check with the project partners.
RR4711

Post by RR4711 »

We had a RevPi Connect flying on a Gulfstream G550, but inside the cabin only. No problems so far.

Markus
Ian

Post by Ian »

RR4711 wrote: 09 Nov 2021, 05:37 We had a RevPi Connect flying on a Gulfstream G550, but inside the cabin only. No problems so far.

Markus
Hi Markus,

That sounds interesting as we are really looking for evidence to support the use in flight trials (up to 4 months). Can you provide any information in terms of how long it was operating for, if there were any issues and whether you had to pass many barriersto show it was safe for flight? Nothing specific, unless you are happy to do so. Our system will be installed in the cabin too.

Many Thanks,
Ian
crismancich
KUNBUS
Answers: 1

Post by crismancich »

Our official statement is that we have no certifications for aviation so we can't guarantee for it. We expect in great heights there might be problems with the cooling of the device so the device can reduce the processor frequency.
The use-case raised much attention here in our dev teams. If we can get any pictures we'd be more than delighted.

Kind regards,
Boris Crismancich
Viele Grüße / Kind regards / Quapla’ / 此致敬意
Boris Crismancich
RR4711

Post by RR4711 »

Cabin pressure is quite high in a G550. They are bragging a lot about their "super-comfortable" airconditioning. I need to look it up but I think it was about 800mBar even when flying > 45000ft. Pictures I could provide but you will see nothing as the RevPi is inside a 19" rack mount chassis.
crismancich
KUNBUS
Answers: 1

Post by crismancich »

Then it's not a cooling problem. As for vibrations I don't have values. But I had the RevPis on 5 fork lift trucks in a rental fleet for three months without problems. And that's near to tanks in real war scenarios.
Viele Grüße / Kind regards / Quapla’ / 此致敬意
Boris Crismancich