Question About Use of Image Files from the Raspberry Pi website

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
NickEng
Answers: 0

Question About Use of Image Files from the Raspberry Pi website

Post by NickEng »

Greetings RevPi Gurus!

I am a new owner of two RevPi Core SE 32 GB modules.

My plan is to use these as stand-alone headless SBC modules that will read data from a PLC via ModBus TCP and carry out calculations that cannot be done easily by the PLC and then write the result of the calculations back to the PLC, again using ModBus TCP protocol.

So as a first step, I have backed up the image file that these RevPi Core's came with and am about to update their image files to the latest version ahead of doing my development work (probably in C, as that is the programming language I am most familiar with and it will likely have the least overhead).

Before I do this, I have a question for the RevPi Core SE gurus - should I restrict myself to the use of the RevPi Buster (01/2023) (ID: 6571) that is in the download section, or is it possible to use a more recent image file from the Raspberry Pi website? Note that I do not plan to use any additional RevPi modules with these RevPi Core SE's in this particular application.

Are there any restrictions or "wrinkles" I should be aware of ahead of trying to use images that are not specifically built for the RevPi Core SE on your webite?

Looking forward to your advice and insights.

Nick
stefanh
KUNBUS

Re: Question About Use of Image Files from the Raspberry Pi website

Post by stefanh »

Hi Nick,

the Raspberry OS from Raspberry will not work without modifications. Only the use of our image ensures stable operation and provides practical tools. You can find more information here: viewtopic.php?t=3795

Best regards
Stefan | FAE
NickEng

Re: Question About Use of Image Files from the Raspberry Pi website

Post by NickEng »

Hi Stefan,

That's exactly the information I was after.

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Nick