Maximum overall output current: can I assume per-port works under full load?

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
kjkoster
Answers: 2

Maximum overall output current: can I assume per-port works under full load?

Post by kjkoster »

Dear All,

If the data sheets states that the maximum output current for a given port is (say) 500mA, and assuming the power supply is able to provide all desired current, is it safe to assume that the data sheet is correct even if I were to load all output ports to their stated maximum current? In other words: is there a module-wide limit that reduces the stated maximum output current of a given port under certain conditions?

Kees Jan
nicolaiB
KUNBUS
Answers: 8

Re: Maximum overall output current: can I assume per-port works under full load?

Post by nicolaiB »

Hi Kees,

which ports do you are refferering to?

Nicolai
kjkoster

Re: Maximum overall output current: can I assume per-port works under full load?

Post by kjkoster »

Dear Nicolai,

Sorry I was not being clear.

Please consider the DIO module. The data sheet states that each output can supply 500mA of current in high-side mode. If I hook up al 14 output ports such that they each have to supply the full 500mA, can they or is there some other limitation?

https://revolutionpi.com/wp-content/upl ... Pi_DIO.pdf

Kees Jan
giuseppe
KUNBUS
Answers: 0

Post by giuseppe »

Hello Kees,

all 14 output ports can supply 500mA simultaneously, in highside mode.

If the module gets too warm, all ports are switched off. This prevents the device from being damaged.

Best regards
Giuseppe Pagano | Technical Support
kjkoster

Post by kjkoster »

Dear Giuseppe,

Thank you for confirming that.

Kees Jan