Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
datahaki
Answers: 0

RevPi Core 3+ with 64 bit OS?

Post by datahaki »

Hi,

when we run

uname -srm

we get `armv7l` which we interpret to be a 32-bit OS running on 64-bit CPU. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

Is there a 64-bit OS in the list of images that Kunbus provides for the RevPi Core 3+?
If not, does there exist an external 64-bit Linux distribution which is a known alternative for the hardware?

Thank you
Jan
nicolaiB
KUNBUS
Answers: 7

Re: RevPi Core 3+ with 64 bit OS?

Post by nicolaiB »

Dear Jan,

unfortunately there is no 64 bit revolution pi OS yet. Do you have a specific use case in mind?

Nicolai
datahaki

Post by datahaki »

Dear Nicolai

all our other systems use 64-bit OS, so we were just aiming for uniformity.

Does "no 64 bit revolution pi OS" mean that no other linux distribution has a chance of being compatible? What is so specific about the Revpi Core 3+ hardware?

thank you,
Jan
nicolaiB
KUNBUS
Answers: 7

Post by nicolaiB »

Hi Jan,

no, of course you are free to use other distributions which provide 64 bit support. Please note that with other kernels than ours, there might be some work necessary regarding the support of piControl / our extension modules.

A good starting point would be our kernel repository (https://github.com/RevolutionPi/linux) and the piControl repository (https://github.com/RevolutionPi/piControl).

Nicolai
Pavon

Post by Pavon »

Hi revpi team,
We are using some different revpi (up to seven!) during the last 3 years with amazing results.
Recently we bought two extra revpi for a new project, one S and one SE (due to stock availability), and checking the download area and GitHub repo we found that there aren't available 64-bit OS versions yet nor the raspbian bullseye version. The software that we are using requires docker and the last releases are only working with docker 20, which needs bullseye plus 64 bits OS.

There is a roadmap of new releases soon? We check the tool imagebackery to create a custom image but on the flags, it's up to buster. I don't test it, but as I understand it will not work with 64 bits buster OS.

We need different tools like pictory and revpimodio since we use several DIO, DO, DI, and MIO modules.  We don't use any gateway.

If there is any chance to get it working with a custom image, we can work in that path.

Thanks in advance,

Octavi Pavon