RevPi Core 3 *.img to RevPi Connect+

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
David_GT
Answers: 0

RevPi Core 3 *.img to RevPi Connect+

Post by David_GT »

Dear colleagues;

There is any functional problem to flash a RevPi Connect+ with the image file from a RevPi Core 3?

I have a project running fine with the Core 3 and I would like to test it with the Connect+ due the expanded functions (RS485 port and the ETH port B).

Thanks in advance!
David_GT

Re: RevPi Core 3 *.img to RevPi Connect+

Post by David_GT »

Test done;

It seems that all is working fine (my node-red program runs fine).
I can expand the memory from the 4GB of the img that I had from a Core3 to the 16GB of the Connect+ with the raspi-config function.

But I have some problems with piTest -d and Pictory. My initial configuration was a Core 3 + Virtual Modbus TCP master. I change the Core 3 for the unique version of Connect that appears in Pictory (Connect v1.0) and save all. PiTest -d don't detect the Connect, and appears 2 RevPi base modules (the Core3 and the Connect). Tomorrow I can upload some pictures.

In addition, now I can't revert the configuration, an error appears if I try to change the Connect v1.0 for a Core/Core3 CPU...

There is any way to update Pictory? The correct CPU for a Connect+ 16GB in Pictory is the normal Connect?
David_GT

Post by David_GT »

Attached 2 screenshots, one from PiCtory, and the other one of the piTest -d.
Attachments
piTest.PNG
piTest.PNG (21.96 KiB) Viewed 6616 times
PiCtory_Connect.PNG
PiCtory_Connect.PNG (123.21 KiB) Viewed 6616 times
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

Hi David_GT, short answer: Yes, you can switch from i.e. Core 3 to Connect. The easiest way is to delete the file "/home/pi/.revpi-factory-reset" before you write the image.
Then you are promptet on first login to provide Serial, MAC and which device. After a reboot you are ready to run. This is what we do here we scan the QR codes to do this automatically during the end of line tests ;)
You have to also look for your PiCtory configuration and Re-Setup this manually.
David_GT

Post by David_GT »

dirk wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 11:12 Hi David_GT, short answer: Yes, you can switch from i.e. Core 3 to Connect. The easiest way is to delete the file "/home/pi/.revpi-factory-reset" before you write the image.
Then you are promptet on first login to provide Serial, MAC and which device. After a reboot you are ready to run. This is what we do here we scan the QR codes to do this automatically during the end of line tests ;)
You have to also look for your PiCtory configuration and Re-Setup this manually.
Perfect Dirk! Lots of thanks :)
RMeissnerCC

Post by RMeissnerCC »

Hy Dirk, Hy David_GT,
we have also switched from RevPi Core 3+ to a RevPi Connect+. I tried to flash the image from the old to the new controller. For some reason, that did not work directly. I looked around and fount out that the Connect stops with the message "failed to start remount root and kernel file system". I thought maybe the fstab was faulty so I changed it according to what it was before, still not working. Due to this error, the Connect is booting into emergency mode.

Do you know what caused this? Since setting up a RevPi is rather time consuming right now it would be nice if we could just flash the images directly.
Best, Robert
lukas
Expert

Post by lukas »

RMeissnerCC wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 16:38 we have also switched from RevPi Core 3+ to a RevPi Connect+. I tried to flash the image from the old to the new controller. For some reason, that did not work directly. I looked around and fount out that the Connect stops with the message "failed to start remount root and kernel file system". I thought maybe the fstab was faulty so I changed it according to what it was before, still not working. Due to this error, the Connect is booting into emergency mode.
The root and boot partitions are referenced by the disk identifier in /etc/fstab. That's a 32-bit hex number. The identifier must match the disk identifier in the first sector of the eMMC.

Double-check that the disk identifier in /etc/fstab and in the first sector are identical. Often that's the reason why systemd fails to mount partitions on boot. E.g. you can run "sfdisk --dump /dev/sdb" if the RevPi is attached to a Linux PC via the Micro USB port and rpiboot has assigned /dev/sdb to it. Then compare that to the value in /etc/fstab.
RMeissnerCC

Post by RMeissnerCC »

Dear Lukas,
thank you for the suggestion, that is basically what I did - and it did not work. Also, the UUID of the partition in the original fstab is different from what fdisk showed me. I actually copied the fstab from the original image of the RevPi connect into the old image of the RevPi Core, same problem.
Best, Robert
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

Hello Robert, how is it going?