Node-Red package node-red-node-serialport does not work on the built-in Node-Red and NodeJS for RevPi Core S

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
todor.v.dimitrov
Answers: 0

Node-Red package node-red-node-serialport does not work on the built-in Node-Red and NodeJS for RevPi Core S

Post by todor.v.dimitrov »

Hello world!

The package node-red-node-serialport gets installed with its expected false error if installed through the Manage palette -> Install but doesn't appear in the palette afterwards. Installing it with npm doesn't improve the situation. From what I understand, this package maybe will start working if we downgrade the NodeJS and Node-Red versions to something from the start of the millennium, along with all expected vulnerabilities. Those vulnerabilities are not acceptable for us so that's not an option. We can't find a decent way to deal with serial ports in NodeRed.

Has anyone managed to use this package with Node-Red on a Revolution Pi configuration and how did you manage?
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: Node-Red package node-red-node-serialport does not work on the built-in Node-Red and NodeJS for RevPi Core S

Post by dirk »

Thank you for your detailed information, this is helpful.
There is a Node-Red checklist created with great attention to detail that I would recommend to you, as well as our Revolution Pi checklist, so that your system is up to date and at factory settings, which in my opinion is the fastest way to achieve your goal. Before creating a backup, you can also compare the data of your old system if you want to do forensics if you want to
todor.v.dimitrov
Answers: 0

Re: Node-Red package node-red-node-serialport does not work on the built-in Node-Red and NodeJS for RevPi Core S

Post by todor.v.dimitrov »

Thank you Dirk,

The issue was with node, npm, Node-Red and the node-red-node-serialport module version compatibilities. After updating Node-Red and node as per the link you provided, using that update script, I can see the serial ports nodes displayed on the palette.
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

todor.v.dimitrov , Even if it comes a little late, thank you very much for your positive feedback, it helps us all to understand and document things better