MAC Address permanent change

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
ErmannoFabbri
Answers: 0

MAC Address permanent change

Post by ErmannoFabbri »

hi, I'm trying to change my mac on the revolution pi permanently but with the macchanger method it doesn't work since the permanent mac is the same as the new mac how can I change it?
u.biakoup
KUNBUS
Answers: 2

Re: MAC Address permanent change

Post by u.biakoup »

Hello EmmanoFabbri,

Which RevPi model are you using? Older Pi models generate a MAC address algorithmically based on the serial number. However, members of the Pi 4 family come with MAC addresses pre-programmed into the OTP. Since the OTP (One-Time Programmable) memory cannot be modified (unless by very rare bit flips), it's not possible to program your own MAC address on these devices. For further explanations on this topic, please refer to this discussion on the Raspberry Pi forum

Best Regards

Ulrich Kouatang Biakoup | Technical Support
ErmannoFabbri

Post by ErmannoFabbri »

Starting from the beginning I had to configure quite a bit of RevPi using a fully functional image of a RevPi created by me, following the instructions found here: https://revolutionpi.com/tutorials/imag ... all-jessie. We have already followed the steps but the only problem I encounter is accessing with pi login and raspberry password. I don't think it's impossible to change the mac address because it would be a big problem. How can I do? thx.
ErmannoFabbri

Post by ErmannoFabbri »

I'll explain better: How can we restore the factory mac address without using the login procedure explained here: https://revolutionpi.com/tutorials/imag ... all-jessie (we logged in for the first time with a different user and password as indicated) ?
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

Hi, well, you just have to modify the image before you flash it according to your needs:
https://kunbus-gmbh.atlassian.net/servi ... 2201518090
nicolaiB
KUNBUS
Answers: 8

Post by nicolaiB »

Hi ErmannoFabbri

I like to shed some light on the mac address setup of different RevPi generations:

RevPi Core / Core 3(+) / Core S (until Revision 1.0) / RevPi Compact / RevPi Connect (+) / RevPi Connect S / RevPi Connect SE:

The mac address is set during factory reset and can be changed afterwards by modifying the file /boot/config.txt. The dtparams eth0_mac_* (and eth1_mac_* on Connect and compact) are read from the kernel driver.

RevPi Core S (starting with Revision 1.1) / RevPi Core SE / RevPi Connect 4:

The mac address is written into an eeprom, which is attached to the ethernet controller. The mac address can be changed (written into the eeprom) with the tool /usr/sbin/revpi-set-mac (part of package revpi-tools).

NOTE: The mac address for wlan0 and eth0 on Connect 4 are set differently, as the controllers are directly attached to the compute module. These mac addresses are set via an udev rule. See section revpi_connect4 in file /lib/udev/rules.d/50-revpi.rules .

I hope this explains the procedure a bit and helps you solving your task.

Nicolai