Missing /dev/piControl0

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
Aurelog
Answers: 0

Missing /dev/piControl0

Post by Aurelog »

Hello,
Just got an issue with Revpi nodered server after an "apt-get upgrade".
Logs shows that /dev/piControl0 is now missing. I also checked manually but not found.

OS Bullseye 64 Bits Version 07/2023
Revpi node server 1.0.5-1+revpi11+3
node-red-contrib-revpi-nodes V1.1.0

A Sos report has been sent.

Is there any way to fix that issue ?

Thank you,

Aurelog
u.biakoup
KUNBUS
Answers: 2

Re: Missing /dev/piControl0

Post by u.biakoup »

Hello Aurelog,
thank you for contacting us. I received your sos-report via our support channel. I analysed it have few steps to recommend you to solve the problem
  • first

Code: Select all

# Update package lists
sudo apt update
# Option 1: Update kernel only
sudo apt upgrade raspberrypi-kernel
#  Option 2: Update all packages (preferred variant)
sudo apt upgrade
  • second option, which I highly recommend and which can quickly solve the problem
Install a new image by following the announcement under this link: viewtopic.php?t=4046 or have a look at the Revolution Pi Checkliste.

Best Regards,

Ulrich Kouatang Biakoup | Technical Support
MarcvandeVen

Post by MarcvandeVen »

Hello,

I have the same issue. First everything worked fine, then I did an ‘apt upgrade’ and now /dev/piControl0 is missing. I followed the instruction you described with the ‘apt upgrade raspberry-kernel’: didn’t solve the issue. Then I completely re-installed the revolution pi with the newest image (this revolution pi is the connect 4): everything worked fine until I did and ‘apt upgrade’: same problem again. It does not happen on my older revolution pi connect, only on the connect 4 (in my case).

What to do?

Thank you and kind regards,
Marc van de Ven
Aurelog

Post by Aurelog »

Thank you Ulrich,

I tested below :

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt upgrade raspberrypi-kernel
sudo reboot
/dev/piControl0 still missing

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot
Only Chromium was updated
/dev/piControl0 still missing

I am working with Core S.

For my part this not urgent topic because it was done on my test system, but i am afraid of the reliability if i have to do any upgrade to my customer systems...
u.biakoup
KUNBUS

Post by u.biakoup »

Hello Aurelog,

Install the new image according to the Revolution Pi Checkliste.

Best Regards

u.biakoup
KUNBUS

Post by u.biakoup »

Dear Community,

We'd like to bring an important point to your attention regarding upgrading from Buster to Bullseye. As of now, we do not provide official support for this upgrade process. There are several critical steps involved, and if not executed correctly, it can lead to issues such as network interfaces being renamed, which can result in network connectivity problems.

It's worth noting that even Raspberry Pi does not offer official supported upgrades from Buster to Bullseye, and attempting such an upgrade could potentially break your system. While there's a plan to share a script for this process within the community through our forum, it's important to understand that this would be at the community level and not officially supported.

In summary, we strongly advise against attempting a Buster to Bullseye upgrade at this time. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to the community for assistance.

Best Regards

p.rosenberger
KUNBUS
Answers: 1

Post by p.rosenberger »

Hi,

we had an issue with our kernel package. We released a kernel package for Bullseye arm64 where the piControl kernel modules was missing. The armhf (32 bit) version is not affected.

The fixed package version (1:9.20230901+1-5.10.152-1+revpi11+2) has been uploaded to our package repository (arm64 only).

Please run an upgrade to install the new package:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
Best regards,
Philipp