How to deactivate network interface pileft

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
dpfeil
Answers: 0

How to deactivate network interface pileft

Post by dpfeil »

Hello,

I have a RevpiConnect (RevPi Buster (08/2022)) with two network interfaces "eth0" and "eth1".
But "ip link show" says there is also an "pileft" network interface.
The problem with "pileft" is that the MAC address of this interface changes after each reboot. And this causes teamviewer to change the teamviewer ID after each reboot. So teamviewer is useless for me, as I have to input the login credentials after each reboot. Teamviewer support says the MAC address change of the virtual "pileft" network interface causes the teamviewer ID change.
Does anybody know how to deactivate the "pileft" network interface?

BR
Daniel
Nicolas

Re: How to deactivate network interface pileft

Post by Nicolas »

I have the same problem. This is problematic.
kjkoster
Answers: 2

Post by kjkoster »

Dear all,

This seems to be a general complaint about Teamviewer, based on what people post on their forums. Other remote desktop systems work fine without such limitations (e.g. VNC, but there are plenty others). Many computer systems have dynamic MAC addresses nowadays. If you run any form of VPN virtualisation you get a whole slew of extra network interfaces for the containers.

Teamviewer seems to be lacking the option to bind to a specified network interface. I think the robust solution here is for Teamviewer honour their customer's request to add the option to bind their client to a specific interface. There is a feature request on their forums. That, or for you to switch to an open source Teamviewer alternative.

Kees Jan
stefanh
KUNBUS

Post by stefanh »

dpfeil wrote: 16 May 2023, 14:25 Hello,

I have a RevpiConnect (RevPi Buster (08/2022)) with two network interfaces "eth0" and "eth1".
But "ip link show" says there is also an "pileft" network interface.
The problem with "pileft" is that the MAC address of this interface changes after each reboot. And this causes teamviewer to change the teamviewer ID after each reboot. So teamviewer is useless for me, as I have to input the login credentials after each reboot. Teamviewer support says the MAC address change of the virtual "pileft" network interface causes the teamviewer ID change.
Does anybody know how to deactivate the "pileft" network interface?

BR
Daniel
Hi Daniel,

the network interface pileft is the internal bus system of the RevPi system, it is not recommended to disable this. I could reproduce that with the changing MAC address after each reboot. Unfortunately, we have no control over the actions of software like Teamviewer. But you can set a static MAC for the interface pileft.

Edit the config file:

Code: Select all

/boot/config.txt (below ):
pileft_mac_hi=0x<first 4 bytes>
pileft_mac_lo=0x<last 2 bytes> 

Or use this bash script: https://gist.github.com/nbuchwitz/65835 ... 023a19b63a

Best regards
Stefan