Retrieve data from profinet

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
Joes
Answers: 0

Retrieve data from profinet

Post by Joes »

Hello,

The RevPi connect states that it can be easily be upgraded to profinet without the use of expansion module. Does anyone have an example of this? How is this achieved, how is this coded?

I am trying to retrieve data from an Io-link master (in python) and sending this data to a website using a put command. The problem is that I don't know how to best retrieve the data from the Io-link master in a form that I can later use in my Python programs to make changes to the website.

I actually don't really know if profinet is the best way to go here or that I should use the IOT port. Hope someone can advise me with this.

Thanks in advanced
kjkoster
Answers: 2

Re: Retrieve data from profinet

Post by kjkoster »

Dear Joes,

Looks like you only need Python libraries: https://pypi.org/project/iolink/ Profinet runs on top of Ethernet, I gather, but this is really a python-profinet question, not so much a Revolution Pi question.

Disclaimer: Note that I know nothing of Profinet. :)

Kees Jan
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: Retrieve data from profinet

Post by dirk »

Hello Jonas,
well seams like a huge project so letz take this step-by-step :)
The RevPi connect states that it can be easily be upgraded to profinet without the use of expansion module.
Yes for example by using a soft PLC like CODESYS - in demo mode you can try it more than 1 hour before the runtime stops. You can reboot and thus start again.
Does anyone have an example of this? How is this achieved, how is this coded?
Here is an example - just erase the Gatway PROFINT IRT module from the configuration in your case:
https://kunbus-gmbh.atlassian.net/servi ... 1515078671
I am trying to retrieve data from an Io-link master (in python) and sending this data to a website using a put command.
Have a look at the Revolution Pi Gateway Tutorial.
There you can see how easay it is to use the process image as a gateway for inputs and outputs. You have to adapt this example accoring to your project requirements.
The problem is that I don't know how to best retrieve the data from the Io-link master in a form that I can later use in my Python programs to make changes to the website.
Well have a look at the last post it is basicaly the magic here - just try it with those libraries.
I actually don't really know if profinet is the best way to go here or that I should use the IOT port. Hope someone can advise me with this.
Well it depends on your requirements. You can also use i.e. Mobus TCP out of the box without additionally software if this fits your project requirements:
Tutorial 20 – Modbus TCP Master